Please double-check what’s open earlier than your journey and comply with all native vax & masks pointers to maintain yourself and others secure! Additionally, advertisements are how we pay our payments and preserve our weblog free so that you can take pleasure in it. We also use affiliate hyperlinks; if you make a purchase order via them, we might obtain a small fee for gratis to you.
Catalan delicacies, neo-Gothic structure, sandy seashores, rugged mountains, and a colorful historical past. Did we point out Catalan delicacies? Barcelona, Spain, has each purpose of being excessive on the record for journey bucket lists.
The town is a mix of influences; there’s the general Spanish tradition however tucked alongside proud Catalan tradition. There’s a lengthy historical past of independence claims, civil struggle, and unrest. Combine this with an enormous migrant and ex-pat neighborhood and also you discover a mix of cultures, cuisines, languages, and types.
Perhaps you want to keep within the coronary heart of the outdated city and Gothic structure, or do you wish to expertise the mix of metropolis and seashore in Barceloneta? It might be that you’re extra of an uptown kinda individual and wish to keep within the coronary heart of Eixample, surrounded by towering buildings, infinite buying alternatives, and Gaudi around what looks as if nearly every nook.
Both means, we’ve got the most effective of the barrios (neighborhoods) laid out so that you can determine for yourself!
This information was written by Sensible Wanderlust’s Head of E mail and Affiliate Advertising and marketing Natalie Collins, Barcelona resident, avid metropolis explorer, and fellow Cava lover. Take it away, Natalie!
Psst: Searching for extra issues to do in Barcelona throughout your journey? We’ve obtained a publish about our favorite food & wine tour in Barcelona, which we extremely suggest. We even have extra posts on travel in Europe.
READ THIS POST
The Ultimate Self-Guided Walking Tour of Barcelona, Spain
Psst: Obtain the strolling tour to search out all of the hidden spots from a Barcelona resident!
Barcelona Journey Suggestions
Earlier than we dive into the barrio round-up, listed below are a number of ideas that will help you put together your journey to Barcelona.
- Be aware of the season: Barcelona splendidly experiences all 4 seasons, so don’t assume it’s heated year-round. Winter will get chilly and damp! The most effective months for vacationers are the Spring (late March to early June) and Autumn (late September to early November) months. Temperatures are comfy, and the town parks and tree-lined avenues look lovely. Additionally means fewer thick winter layers to pack!
- Put together a number of Spanish phrases: Barcelona is in Catalonia, a Spanish area with a historical past of independence claims from the Spanish state. True Barcelona locals are sometimes fiercely Catalan, with Catalan as their first language, Spanish second, and English coming someplace after that if wanted. So you’ll do higher with both a primary grasp of Spanish and even some Catalan – don’t simply assume you will get away with English, though most vacationer locations do converse English!
- Keep secure: Pickpockets are a giant drawback in Barcelona, and the locations I like to recommend avoiding are the worst locations you might be prone to encounter thieves. Don’t depart your telephone on a desk, preserve your valuables in a cash belt, don’t journey sporting an expensive-looking watch, and preserve your bag both tied to your chair or on your knee. At all times be vigilant!
- Eat all of the foods and drinks all of the cava: Catalan and Spanish delicacies are scrumptious, with a lot of recent hearty elements, good olive oils, and little tapas plates. There’s additionally the Basque effect with some nice pintxo eating places, which is my favorite option to eat! Cava can also be made within the area so respectable cava prices are little or not. Take a food and wine tour if you happen to can to expertise it multi-functional afternoon.
- Don’t name it Barca: Locals and long-term residents get actually sniffy about Barca/Barna. The proper abbreviation is Barna; Barca is the soccer workforce. I nonetheless really feel bizarre calling it Barna so simply follow Barcelona.
- Convey comfy strolling footwear: The town is extremely walkable however components of it are hilly and you’ll cowl much more floor than you notice whereas gawking on the structure. So pack respectable footwear you recognize that will preserve your ft completely satisfied and benefit from the stroll! To assist, we’ve obtained a Barcelona self-guided walking tour – and we’ve additionally obtained ideas for the most effective strolling footwear for the journey. Listed below are our favorite journey footwear for men and for women.
- Completely different areas even have completely different hyperlinks to different components of the town: The metro system is superb and pretty simple to navigate however if you happen to choose to keep away from utilizing it or buses then you might want to base your self-strolling distance to the stuff you wish to see or no less than on the identical metro line to keep away from a number of stops and adjustments. Space could also be a quarter-hour away in a taxi however takes 45 minutes by metro or bus, so take note of the place you wish to be in relation to the place you wish to keep.
- Keep away from short-term condominium leases: The housing market in Barcelona has been monopolized by vacationer leases, driving costs up a lot greater than is inexpensive for residents and creating a number of scams and disparities. Motels have been badly affected by the pandemic so they deserve the help more reasonably than grasping property house owners who would reasonably depart a condominium empty as an alternative of renting it for an affordable worth to an area. There are even new legal guidelines proscribing vacationer licenses and you might be not allowed to lease a room short-term, so don’t contribute to the housing disaster, be an accountable vacationer, and keep in a lodge!
- In case your check-in and check-out occasions don’t sync up along with your must roam the streets and also you want a spot to retail your baggage, take a look at LuggageHero: This service helps you discover a secure place to maintain your baggage whilst you’re working round so that you don’t stand out like a blatant vacationer! Use the code PRACTICALW for two hours of free baggage storage on us.
The place to Keep in Barcelona
Barcelona is damaged up into separate neighborhoods referred to as barrios, every with its personal distinct persona, vibe, and enchantment. To the uninitiated, you might battle to know the place to go and what to do, however, don’t fear, I obtained you lined!
As with many cities, there’s additionally an enormous financial variation. Strolling alongside Passeig de Gràcia you’ll see customers swinging baggage from Gucci, Versace, and Saint Laurant, after which step down La Rambla simply 10 minutes away and discover quirky low-cost hippy retailers promoting handmade crafts, knock-off clothes, and road meals. Barcelona is that sort of place!
This provides the allure of the town, you might be at all times only a brief stroll or turning a nook away from discovering one thing utterly completely different and discovering a hidden gem. This does make looking down meals and souvenirs actually enjoyable – every part your coronary heart wishes will be present in Barcelona!
READ THIS POST
The Perfect Barcelona Food Tour: Tapas and Spanish Wine in Barcelona
Outdated Metropolis: El Born & Gothic
The outdated part of Barcelona is the very first thing that involves thoughts for many vacationers after they consider Barcelona, and it’s true it’s the most charming part of the town. Filled with outdated winding streets, lovely historic buildings, church buildings, lovable eating places, and hidden options around each nook.
That is the place you’ll discover Barcelona Cathedral, the Picasso Museum, Arc de Triomf, La Rambla, and a complete host of different well-known landmarks. It truly is the most effective place to remain in Barcelona for a primary go-to.
Nevertheless, you do want to select fastidiously as some streets are slightly shadier than others, some are noisy, and people’s cute winding streets aren’t as enjoyable to remain in if you happen to don’t see daylight out of your lodge room window.
This barrio has nice transport hyperlinks to the remainder of the town and is a brief stroll to the seashore, with components of it opening out onto the marina at Port Vell so that you get views of the blue Mediterranean Sea. The world can also be extra open to vacationers so you usually tend to discover a place to seize an espresso and a pastry in case you are an early morning kind of individual.
That is additionally the most effective place to base yourself in case you are planning on taking our Self-Guided Walking Tour of Barcelona. Many of the tours cover this space and can also be the place you end so you’re a brief stroll again to your lodge afterward.
The place to Keep in El Born & Gothic
There is a combination of expensive lodges in this space in addition to some significantly finances hostels. Beneath are a few of our favorites:
- Hostal Fernando is a kind of good type of hostel with clear, shiny rooms. It additionally overlooks Església de Sant Jaume, which is a reasonably, outdated church. Historical past on your windowsill!
- For one thing slightly fancier Barcelona Hotel Colonial is true within the coronary heart of Gothic in a stupendous colonial construction, a brief stroll down the road takes you to Port Vell Marina and a visit on every other path takes you thru medieval streets.
- If you wish to keep as shut as potential to the eccentric La Rambla then the May Ramblas Hotel is the one for you. It’s positioned just a few doorways down a facet road from La Rambla and can also be the identical road you head right down to get to the Basílica de Santa Maria del Pi.
READ THIS POST
Beach Vacation Packing List: What to Pack for the Beach (by a Curvy Girl)
Barceloneta / Seashore
For these trying extra for the seashore vibes then Barceloneta is for you. This barrio is a small space made up of completely aligned streets so it’s nearly inconceivable to get misplaced. To at least one facet is Port Vell, to the south is the seashore, head north to El Born, and east to Villa Olympics, the Olympic village from when Barcelona hosted the 1992 summertime Olympics.
Barceloneta correct is a superb place to really feel you might be staying proper on the seashore without lacking out on that Barcelona outdated metropolis allure. The buildings aren’t essentially as fairly as different components of the town however the seashore environment is sort of year-round.
You’ll discover chiringuitos (seashore bars) open from Spring to mid-Autumn and there are at all times individuals skateboarding and curler skating down the cycle paths alongside the entrance, so be careful as you stroll!
The place to Keep in Barceloneta / Seashore
There are a number of bigger lodges on this space as you’d count on with it being beachside however the costs are wildly costly. Try the well-known landmark lodge The W, lovely and epic views however out of finances for many vacationers! You may nonetheless catch the views at their rooftop cocktail lounge and nightclub if you happen to can snag a desk!
- Whereas technically not in Barceloneta it’s simply throughout the highway from the place the barrio begins, the Hotel Oasis has a tremendous rooftop pool and terrace and appears out in direction of the marina. From right here you possibly can enter El Born, Gothic, and Barceloneta in only a brief stroll.
- Hotel 54 Barceloneta is true on the entrance overlooking the marina and steps away from the seashore, this is able to be my decision if going for the seashore lodge choice. The rooftop bar can also be like a slight backyard paradise, excellent for resting after an extended day of exploring.
- For an extra finances room, the Sea Hostel is a superb decide for dorm room-style lodging, additionally, it is a subsequent door to a restaurant, Buenas Migas, that does fairly superb pastries. Get up early, and seize an espresso and pastry for a dawn stroll alongside the seashore.
Welcome to Eixample, the world that you simply see most in aerial photographs of Barcelona, these excellent pink sq. blocks and streets aligned to OCD ranges. This part of the town is the place the well-known avenues of Diagonal and Passeig de Gracia run, it’s the place the designer retailers are and can also be the bigger of the districts in Barcelona.
The roads are additionally very driveable, apart from the irritating pink gentle cease/begin system which does make site visitors heavier right here. However, most lodges have respectable sound insulation so you possibly can keep away from site visitors’ noise so long as you retain your home windows closed.
This space is charming for its typical Barcelona type with lengthy avenues, Guadi’s spectacular buildings, and delightful balconies. You’ll discover Casa Batlo and Casa Mila, Plaza Catalunya to the south, Casa de las Punxes, and plenty of different architectural beauties. Strolling around this space you’ll simply preserve stumbling into one other lovely construction after one other, and if you happen to get onto a rooftop someplace you’ll see much more.
The buying can also be unimaginable right here with every part from high-end designer shops, to excessive road buying, to impartial boutiques. If you wish to store without having to stroll far to drop your baggage again at the lodge, that is the place to do it.
This space can also be rather well linked with public transport, the buses run commonly and there are a number of metro stations, in addition, to preparing stations at each Passeig de Gràcia and at Plaza Catalunya.
READ THIS POST
The Ultimate Packing List: 43 Must-Have Travel Items (by a Full-Time Travel Blogger
The place to Keep in Eixample
As you’d count on there is no such thing as a scarcity of lodges for Eixample, from simpler budgets to luxurious high-end lodges. Listed below are some of the most effective ones:
- After I first arrived in Barcelona I booked into Hostalin Barcelona Gran Via and it’s the place I like to recommend mates to remain for a terrific worth lodge. The employees were a dream throughout my keep, the rooms are shiny and comfy and it’s canine pleasant!
- For bougie fanciness proper on Passeig de Gràcia with the views to match the Hotel Royal, Passeig de Gràcia is a superb alternative, and although the worth is slightly greater it’s not eye-watering. You can go all out for a set with a non-public terrace or simply benefit from the rooftop terrace which is equally beautiful.
- If you wish to exit your lodge to the scent of recent bread and pastries then you might want to guide Praktik Bakery, with rooms as recent because of the bread, and a brief stroll to Diagonal. Simply make certain to not hang around and go discover (hehehe)!
The place else to remain in Barcelona apart from near the enduring Basílica de la Sagrada Família! If that is your most important purpose for visiting Barcelona, and no one will decide for you whether it is then that is the place to remain. You may meander across the cafes within the space, sit in parks surrounding the basílica, and usually gaze on the unimaginable work of Antoni Gaudí.
Admittedly the restaurant decisions aren’t the greatest, and apart from the Sagrada itself, the structure isn’t the prettiest in Barcelona, however, it’s tremendous near Eixample and straightforward to get to different components of the town.
The place to Keep in Sagrada Família
In fact, in case you are staying in this space you then completely want a lodge with views of the basílica, which aren’t the most affordable rooms within the metropolis however there is some well-priced lodges price checking into.
- Sensation Sagrada Família has serviced flats with a stupendous shared roof terrace overlooking the enduring church. Right here you will get the bonus of a non-public condominium but nonetheless have the chance to take pleasure in a shared house with fellow vacationers.
- For a lodging choice, the Sercotel Rosellón has shiny rooms, a terrific breakfast, and a roof terrace with solar loungers pointing at Sagrada, an iconic option to spend a day if you happen to ask me!
Searching for a hidden boho artist vibe? Then Gràcia is your spot. Till the nineteenth century, this was an impartial city and residents are sometimes long-term locals and happy with their neighborhood.
Now the world is fashionable and stuffed with impartial retailers, boutiques, and cafes. Plaça de Sol is a central level place individuals hang around to socialize, drink and indulge within the bakeries and gelato retailers close by.
This space is comparatively near Passeig de Gràcia however appears like a unique world to the designer shops and busy avenue. The streets are largely pedestrianized and there’s an extra eclectic combination of individuals strolling the streets.
The world can also be identified for its festivals, historically every neighborhood has its personal mini-festivals however the one in Gràcia is broadly often known as the most effective. Streets are lined with decorations and stalls, with some streets working in competitors for the most effective decor. Though remember if you happen to go to in the summertime throughout these festivals you shouldn’t count on any peace and quiet, the events can go on all evening!
READ THIS POST
Europe Travel Guide
The place to Keep in Gràcia
This isn’t a primary alternative amongst vacationers so you’ll really feel as if you’ve hit a slightly hidden gem, and lodges are typically slightly cheaper too.
- Hotel Ronda Lesseps is a cute lodge with a stupendous inside courtyard backyard connected to the lodge bar. Additionally, it is only a 15-minute stroll to a different of Gaudí’s iconic designs, Parc Güell. Benefit from the peace hidden away from the bustle of the town on this little oasis.
- An extra upmarket choice with a rooftop pool is the Catalonia Park Güell lodge, costs aren’t vastly completely different however it’s barely extra outdoors in the central part of Gràcia. Rooftop swimming pools in lodges are an actual deal with however they do get busy so bear in mind to order a solar lounger for your afternoon poolside.
Canine-Pleasant Motels in Barcelona
If you’re like the remainder of Group Sensible Wanderlust and are a proud canine proprietor you’ll be happy to listen to that Barcelona is a superb place to journey along with your furry greatest buddy.
Most eating places are accommodating, a number of retailers have water bowls outdoors for passing canines and it isn’t unusual to see canines becoming a member of buying journeys. My canine loves coming to buy, it often means getting a lot of love from retailer attendants, treats, and new locations to smell.
Actually most locations you possibly can carry your canine with you, much more so if it’s a smaller canine. Nevertheless, simply remember that in the summertime months (from Might to October) canines aren’t allowed on the primary seashores so you’ll have to discover the dog beach simply outdoors the primary metropolis middle.
After I arrived in Barcelona with my pup I booked right into a dog-friendly lodge and I have a number of mates who’ve additionally executed the identical. A number of lodges are used for canine companions and accommodate them fairly simply. So if you happen to journey along with your little buddy these are the most effective locations to remain.
- Motel One Barcelona-Ciutadella: This lodge is the true reverse of Ciutadella Park, which is by far among the finest parks for canines within the metropolis. Mornings and evenings are a hub for canine house owners with pups taking part on the grass collectively, and there’s a kiosk within the park for human refreshments. The lodge can also be a brief stroll to the seashore and throughout from El Born, completely positioned for exploring the town. The lodge itself is gorgeous, it’s designed to merge nature with native structure and elegance, and the bar space is spacious and overlooks the park. There’s additionally a beautiful door space to take pleasure in an aperitif.
- Hotel Balmes: An actual gem of a lodge, they really have a particular bundle for canine, Keep & Canine. This treats your pup as a particular visitor with its personal mattress, meals and water bowls, treats and snacks, and toys, and housekeeping can also be delicate to their particular guests. There’s additionally an African artwork assortment all through the lodge, a backyard, and a pool.
- Hostalin Barcelona Gran Via: This lodge has 2 areas not too removed from one another, as talked about once I arrived in Barcelona I stayed at the Gran Through lodge and it was actually unimaginable. The rooms are clean and spacious, and the employees are superb and really accommodating. The identical vibe can also be at their different lodge Diputación, each is in Eixample and is rather well positioned for accessing the remainder of the town.
READ THIS POST
How to Be a More Responsible Tourist: a Traveler’s Guide to Ethical Tourism
The place To not Keep in Barcelona
Barcelona as a complete is fairly secure and there are few areas to keep away from, these are often simply sure streets reasonably than complete areas and it’s extra of simply being conscious reasonably than anticipating to be robbed. You hear horror tales and sure they do occur however in case you are a skilled traveler and preserve your wits about you, you’ll be fantastic. It helps to remember that Barcelona has a number of poverty and the typical wage completely doesn’t match the price of dwelling and housing right here.
There are additionally big impoverished migrant inhabitants and homeless individuals in sure areas if this offends you then higher to keep away from the town fully as nobody space is best than others.
Other than that, there are some areas of the town which can be simply not priced staying in, and I’ll clarify the place and why.
Usually, while you hear tales of pickpockets, you might be listening to tales of Raval, which is positioned to the west facet of La Rambla.
The world is charming in its personal means, however, I wouldn’t suggest it for vacationers. There are some nice eating places tucked away and a few actually enjoyable bars however strolling residence at nighttime just isn’t advisable.
- The place to Keep as an alternative: If you’re nonetheless on the lookout for the quirky outdated city type that components of Raval have then keep in Gothic as an alternative. You’ll nonetheless have the identical tourist-friendly hustle and bustle and loads of outdated buildings to marvel at however much less of the after-dark considerations. May Ramblas Hotel is effectively positioned for La Rambla without the night security challenges.
Sant Gervasi-Galvany is up within the hills of the town and may be very residential. Housing will be fairly costly right here and the boutiques and cafes cater to a unique clientele than what most vacationers can be considering.
It’s near the hills of Tibidabo, Barcelona’s highest peak, and the views throughout the town will be beautiful however transport hyperlinks aren’t nice so it is going to be an extended stroll or a number of metro and bus stops to get to the place you wish to be.
- The place to Keep as an alternative: Shut by is Eixample, this has the identical metropolis residential vibe however with extra allure and simpler entry to the remainder of the town. Additionally, take into account Gràcia for a similar cause. Praktik Bakery offers you that very same native vibe however in a greater location.
If you happen to hunt for lodging that’s quick access to the airport then that is the primary neighborhood to have a look at, additionally, it is near the enduring Montjuïc which is great to discover. You too can go see the fountain present at Plaza Espanya.
Nevertheless, to get anyplace you will have to leap on the metro or prepare, it’s effectively linked however if you wish to stroll to the remainder of the town you’ll have a fairly extended stroll. It’s a quieter space to remain in however the fixed want to make use of the metro can sluggish you down.
Additionally, as it’s a most important transport connection-level it does are typically actually busy within the stations, which may get overwhelming in case you are determining learn how to get to the place you wish to be.
- The place to Keep as an alternative: For straightforward entry to the airport look near Plaza Catalunya. The metro cease is central so will get you the place you might want to be in addition to what the Sants cease does. Additionally, it is a most important level for the airport shuttle buses to start out from, which is by far the simplest option to get to the airport fairly cheaply. Praktik Bakery once more is rather well positioned for ease to journey.
READ THIS POST
The Ultimate Self-Guided Walking Tour of Barcelona, Spain
The place to Keep in Barcelona: Abstract
That’s various data! So to wrap it up right into a bite-size piece, right here we’ve got at a look abstract:
- The Finest Areas to Keep in Barcelona: Go for the Outdated Metropolis or Eixample for traditional Barcelona vibes.
- The Finest Motels in Barcelona: Finest choices are Barcelona Hotel Colonial, Hostelin Barcelona Gran Via, and Motel One Barcelona-Ciutadella, any of these will make your keep iconic.
- The Finest Canine-Pleasant Motels in Barcelona: Once more one other vote for Hostelin Barcelona Gran Through and Motel One Barcelona-Ciutadella. Can not beat these for canine lovers!
So why aren’t we recommending any AirBnBs? In brief, AirBnB and brief time period condominium leases have screwed the housing market in Barcelona, in addition to many different cities worldwide. Discovering a precise residence within the metropolis is an actual drawback and the costs have been pushed so excessive by vacationer leases that the typical individual can not afford them. Legal guidelines have now restricted vacationer licenses however this hasn’t executed a lot to cease the issue that was already created. So that you don’t contribute to the very actual housing disaster within the metropolis, we suggest you be a responsible traveler and select to remain in lodges as an alternative, which has been after all closely affected by the pandemic and deserve all of the vacationer love once more.
That ought to provide the greatest concepts of the place to remain so you possibly can plan the remainder of your journey! When you are within the starting stage don’t overlook to join our Self-Guided Walking Tour of Barcelona to get downloadable information to discover the town!
Which space would you want to remain in? Is there a sure a part of Barcelona you might be most enthusiastic about seeing? Tell us within the feedback under
Psst: Planning extra journeys to European cities? We’ve got explored a few!
Psst: Save this publish for afterward Pinterest!